Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Nothing changes faster than plans.

That is what my grandma Betty always used to say. Nothing changes faster than plans. So true. On August 1st I packed up the kids and myself into our car and we headed off to Grandma and Grandpa's house for a whole month of summer fun. We would miss dh, but he would be busy working and in his spare time remodeling our bathroom. When we returned, tired of horseback riding, swimming, biking, fishing, and playing we would have a beautiful new bathroom. Fast forward to August 9th. Dh calls me from the hospital. Stop reading now if you are squeamish. Okay, I warned you. Dh lacerated his cornea. With a crowbar. I've learned a lot about the anatomy of the human eye in the last few days. The cornea is the outside layer of your eye. Underneath it is a layer of fluid, then comes your iris and pupil and behind that the lens. When you cut through the cornea with, say, a crowbar, the liquid comes out -I did warn you squeamish ones - and because that pressure is released, the other parts of the eye try to get out of the cut too. So to fix that, an ophthalmologist stitches the parts of the cornea back together (dh has about 10 stitches) and puts a little air bubble underneath the cornea that will keep the pressure good so the iris won't stick to the cornea. Eventually the body will absorb the air and make more eye juice. But I didn't know this at about midnight on Saturday when he called me before he went into surgery. I didn't even know how to spell ophthalmologist. On Sunday I caught a flight home and left my kids and car with Grandma and Grandpa. I didn't think I was scared until I finally walked in my door and saw dh lying on the couch in our darkened house wearing sunglasses and using a towel to further block out the light. Dh was very relieved to see me to say the least. Vicodin doesn't help emotional pain. Fast forward to today. Dh is improving a little bit every day. We have avoided infection, which was the main immediate danger. He may have additional surgeries and recovery will take a long time, but I think he will recover. My kids are still with Grandma and Grandpa, and I know they are having fun. I miss them, but it has been easier to take care of dh with all his appointments and medicine administrations and one working bathroom. At least we have the water and all the electricity back on now. My kids are upset at the change of plans. They will have to end their vacation early. I can't rejoin them like I hoped I would. The bathroom will not be shiny and beautiful and new when they return. I will have to deal with plumbers and electricians and tilers and all those other men tracking through my house. I will have to deal with dh being home for at least six weeks. Dh will have to learn to rely on others to do the work he would love to do for himself. We will embrace the wise words of Grandma Betty. Our family has a change of plans that will affect us for quite a while. I am thankful for: A neighbor that not only drove dh to the ER, but stayed with him through being misdiagnosed by the ER, seen by our optometrist, another ER, and surgery. He picked up dh's meds and administered eye drops to him every 2 hours until I got here. Then he came over and fixed our electricity. Thank you, Jim. An optometrist that came to his office at 8pm on a Saturday to make sure the ER Dr. had diagnosed dh correctly. And then, determining dh's eye was worse than he thought, personally called ophthalmologists until he found one who responded. Thank you, Dr. Rick. Our clergy, who went to the hospital at midnight to administer a blessing prayer before dh's surgery. Thank you President Olsen and Brother Chase. An ophthalmologist who was out with his wife and drove straight to the ER then performed a very successful surgery. Thank you, Dr. M. Most of all, I am thankful to the Lord for blessing my dh, my children, and myself with loving, caring, charitable friends, family, doctors and neighbors.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

OUCH!! I'm not sqeamish, but it still made me squint to read it again. I hope he recovers quickly and your plans get back to normal soon.

Lauri said...

Oh you guys, how terrible! I'm so glad it is not getting infected and that you were able to have doctors respond quickly. I hope the recovery goes perfectly!

Jill said...

We are thinking of you and will keep him in our prayers! I'm grateful too that he was able to get a blessing and medical care. Take care cousin.

Unknown said...

so very happy that he is going to be ok, it still bring tears to my eyes to think of all the pain he had to go through. And am so grateful that he's has such a loving family and wonderful friends thanks to all of you that helped. I too am so grateful to all of you. love grandma Pam

Company EIGHT said...

Oh, that's so awful! I'm not squeamish either, but there is something about eyes that just makes me cringe! I hope it heals quickly!

Elise said...

Eew, I should have quit reading!! I am so sorry to hear about your husband. I will pray for a speedy recovery.
Hugs,
Elise

Sarah H said...

Wow, good luck with everything. I hope H doesn't end up with permanent vision damage. I can't even imagine how miserable he is right now, poor guy! I hope you are doing well and I am sorry we missed each other in Utah. Maybe we will come to Disneyland again soon! We will definitely look you up if we do.

mindyluwho said...

Ow! My eye hurts just thinking about it! I hope it all heals corrrectly.

I came here from a comment you left on Relishing Motherhood. Love your writing!

Dan Haring said...

I'm glad to hear he's doing well. I didn't know about all those details, so I'm glad you wrote them. I'm probably in the minority here, but do you have any pictures? Maybe we'll just have to come by and visit when you think it's ok. You guys are in our prayers.

BobandLu said...

Man H, You have claim on a new level of toughness now. You can say ____insert pitiful injury here____ doesn't hurt as bad as a cornea ripped by a crowbar! Your posterity will be quoting you. Glad you have great people around you who care to do their work well. Take care.

careyttops or katelyn's kid kitchen said...

YIKES! that is terrible!!!! I'm glad that he got the immediate attention he needed and that he's kept it from infection.

Michal said...

thanks for stopping by my blog! yikes--what a way for things to take a turn. isn't it wonderful that the lord stands ready to help and bless us even when everything seems to change at once.
i'll be back. love your blog.

Jenny said...

Tamlynn,
I didn't hear from you and I know you must be so busy. I'm glad for all the information on your blog. How is your family adjusting? I'm so sorry you also have the bathroom project..it's a whole job just getting everyone scheduled for that work. I'm praying your blessings continue and that you feel strengthened. So relieved you found the right doctors. I will call on Sunday.
Love, Jenny