Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Did you feel that?!!

We have survived our first earthquake! A 5.4 that happened about 40 miles from my house. I was sitting at the computer, oddly enough because I hardly spend any time here, when I heard the dishes in the china cabinet rattle. I turned around and saw the house moving and felt it vibrating. I ran to the hallway and called the kids who were both not cleaning their rooms. Ds ran right out, but dd was too concerned about how she was possibly going to get her dirty clothes from the floor to the dirty clothes basket to hear me. I ran into her room, yelled at her for not coming when called, and dragged her to the hallway. This was probably the most traumatic part for her. We sat in the hallway, under strong beams (we hope) and no glass or toppling bookshelves. The entire house was rocking back and forth like a boat or a swing that is slowing down. Ds asked if we could say a prayer. "Of course!" I said and he said a sweet prayer. Then everything stopped and the phone rang. I raced to get it because of course I thought it was dh calling to see if we were okay. Nope, it was my mom who grew up in earthquake country just calling to tell me about her day! Her mom radar must have been especially sensitive today. "We're having an earthquake!" I told her. She was excited and worried for us, but everything was fine. I called dh later and he hadn't even felt anything. I spoke to the mail carrier and she didn't feel anything either, but did acknowledge that several other people she had just delivered mail to asked her the same question. The kids and I sat huddled in the hall for a few minutes, slightly scared, a little thrilled and glad it was such a tiny adventure.

6 comments:

Elise said...

I think I'd have to high-tail it out of your state!! Whew...
I do recall us getting a mini-quake-at least I think that's what it was, because I heard my china cabinet rumble and my window that I had propped in my kitchen window sill(picturing that one, huh?) jumped over the sink into the floor and broke. Very uncommon for our neck of the woods.
Glad y'all are okay.
Elise

Anonymous said...

I've never experienced one - we only get minor little things in my neck of the woods. The few we've had, I've either been in the car & didn't feel it, asleep or in the process of standing up and thought the dizziness was from standing up too quickly... lol

Glad you guys are ok!

Anonymous said...

WOW!! Glad you are safe. And so sweet he said a prayer.

Dan Haring said...

Wasn't that crazy? We were just sitting at our desks and everything started moving. We all kind of looked at each other like, "whoah..." Then it got worse for a few seconds and we all freaked out a little bit. We're on the third floor and the first floor is a parking garage, with just pillars holding us up, so it was a little bit scary. Glad to know you're safe though.

Company EIGHT said...

That is crazy! I'm glad you are all okay! When I was a teenager, there was an earthquake where I lived that registered 5.9. I actually slept through it. I remember dreaming about a train going through my room, lol. Then I did wake up with all my siblings, went upstairs and stayed with my parents for awhile. Glad you were at home with your kids when it happened!

Michal said...

i grew up in earthquake country (southern cal) and had my fair share of earthquakes. i will admit that they always make me paranoid. my sister and husband both enjoy them but i'm always waiting for them to get worse.