Wednesday, June 18, 2008

I feel like a cheater but IDHTBPTBB.

I have a problem. I feel like I cheated on a project. A home decorating project. Let me start over. For three years, my family room windows have been bare except for the wood blinds that came with the house. Because I didn't know what I wanted. I have this dilemma often. I don't know what I want, so nothing gets done. Sometimes this lasts for years. But I'm really okay with that. I have these crazy windows. As you can see from the "before" pic, they are not the same size nor shape nor distance from the ceiling. A challenge, but not an overwhelming one. Eventually (about a year ago) I decided I wanted valances. Cool. First decision made. Then about six months ago I figured out that I just needed to place the curtain rods over each window at the same height, so the windows would appear the same height. The vertical window's rod would just be really high, and the valance would mostly cover wall instead of window. Second decision made! At this time I also decided on some type of white fabric for the valances. Then a month or so ago I stumbled across this very addicting blog. This woman has some great ideas, especially about window treatments, one of which was the "hang the curtain rod too high so your windows look taller" trick. I felt smug that I had figured that one out on my own. Then I noticed the theme and decorations on her blog. Birds! That's what my room needed! The family room had been looking too stark and needed a little charm. I was so excited! I searched for bird curtain rods, and found these adorable ones with little birds. I ordered two online. Then I went to another website and ordered some curtains that were just what I had been imagining. I pulled out my credit card, and in a few weeks the stuff showed up on my door and we put it up.

Whaddya think? Please ignore (or snicker at) the laundry to be folded and the spew from my kids' backpacks. Here's the cheating part. It was too easy and certainly not creative. I didn't sew the curtains. I didn't find the curtain rods at a discount store and repaint them. They weren't even on sale for Pete's sake! I feel guilty and not too proud of the final result. Its not my work, I just paid for it. Something is wrong with me. Oh, and the pillows on the couch? Didn't make those either. But, as I have learned from the above mentioned awesome blog, IDHTBPTBB. Meaning, it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful. The curtains are a little too sheer and show the wall above the window, the panels should be a little wider (and they would have been if I had sewn my own) and I'm not sure if the hanging strings of the bows are charming or messy. But thanks, Nester and cyberfriends for giving me the kick in the rear and the inspiration I needed to finish my three-year decision.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

well I love it and I don't think it's cheating ;). If it is I've been cheating for years LOL

The Nester said...

Don't you feel guilty for one little darn minute now! You did all sorts of work finding that stuff online, thinking about what you wanted and waiting to get it!

Everyone uses their time in different ways and for me, i have more time than money right now to hot glue my mistreatements but if I had the $$$ there are many times that I would just buy it off the rack and enjoy it!

Don't tell but a few years ago when we had money, I had a sofa custom made--for me. It's worth every penny!

You did a great job.

The Nester said...

actually, i already told about my sofa but it sounds so much more exciting it i say not to tell.

hate me.

angela | the painted house said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment!

I love your birdie rods. Birds pop up a lot in my art--so I'm partial!

And, what a window challenge! But you made it look great--so fresh and light!

smart mama said...

very nice- and cute rods- birds are fun i just did a nest painting

Anne Fannie said...

Hi Tamlynn thanks for stopping by my blog, its nice to meet you! I noticed you also live in So Ca. Thanks for the words on the chickens! I looked through your post, thanks for that great link to My Pet Chicken website! I just love that red tractor chicken coop. I was so tempted to just order it....surprise! I love your bird curtain rods and your post on your Dad was very touching and your babies chickens and roosters are adorable. I love your I Spy bags you make...my first thought was mmmm could that be one of the projects for Super Craft night in Relief Society? We have alot of ladies with small children in our Ward.
Its great to meet you, come by anything!
Love, Ann

Anne Fannie said...

Hi Tamlynn, you can email me at along350@aol.com I look forward to talking further!
Love, Ann

scraphappymama said...

hey, i think it is so cute and not cheating at all. if that's cheating, then my whole house is a cheaters masterpiece!!

Company EIGHT said...

SO cute!! I love the bird rods--

I don't think it's cheating either!

Nettie said...

That looks so good! And I think the birds are a perfect choice for you.

I'm the same way about not doing anything for years while I figure out what I really want to do.

Anonymous said...

We think you are just great!!!!, We are so very proud of you, and know that your Grandma Betty would think you are just GREAT too, she would have loved the birds. and so do I. love Mom and Dad

Melissa said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and for your comments! I love your room and good for you for NOT sewing the curtains! Good luck with all of the remodels~
Melissa