Thursday, February 24, 2011

If you've got it, flaunt it!

Two things are growing extremely well in my yard right now, so I decided I may as well embrace them and make something (hopefully) yummy.

Everyone in my family liked this, and it was quick and easy. As long as you can remember to start dinner 4-5 hours early. Something I am not good at yet. Someday I hope to be good at planning ahead.

Citrus Cilantro Chicken

For marinade:
Juice of one orange, approximately 1/2 cup
2 Tb olive oil
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 tsp Cajun Seasoning. You could easily substitute any other spice mix that sounds good, or simply use chili powder and garlic.
Salt to taste depending on if your spice mix has salt already

Mix together and pour over 2 chicken breasts in a covered shallow dish or plastic bag. Refrigerate for about 4 hours. It will still be good with 2 hours marinating time, but not have quite as much flavor.

Grill or pan fry chicken until it is no longer pink in the center. I served mine with sides of quinoa and steamed veggies. Easy, yummy, healthy, kids didn't complain.

Have any more ideas for cilantro and oranges? What have you made just because the ingredients were available?

This post is part of Simple Lives Thursday at Sustainable Eats

2 comments:

Mamahollioni said...

wow...what a treat to have homegrown oranges and cilantro right now...we just had a couple inches of snow last night and my thyme has even died this winter!

Danielle said...

Wow, this looks fantastic! Anything with fresh citrus and herbs sounds delicious this time of year! Thanks for this recipe!
I found you through Simple Lives Thursday, by the way.
http://mindofthemother.blogspot.com/