Saturday, July 10, 2010

The reluctant summer

Yesterday LAX had a record low high. For July 9, the temperature hit a whopping 67F. This is not tomato and pepper growing weather, my friends. My plants have mildew. We count the hours of sunlight in minutes. I think the flavor of the peaches has been affected. They just aren't as sweet this year.

Every day after swimming lessons my children fix themselves mugs of hot cocoa. Did I mention it's July? I still have my down comforter on my bed!

The best I can do right now is bake and make soup. Someone at the community garden left a ginormous zucchini on the free table. I made 4 dozen muffins, freezing most of them for quick snacks. I also froze the leftover shredded squash- easy to add to soups, chili, etc. The muffins are pretty tasty, though adding chocolate chips makes them an even better treat on a chilly summer day.

Tamlynn's Zucchini Muffins
makes 2 dozen

mix together:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
1 cup quick oats
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

in another bowl mix:
1 cup unsweetened applesauce (or melted butter or oil)
1 1/2 cup sugar (or other sweetener)
4 medium eggs (that's the size my chickens lay)
2 cups shredded zucchini

Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. Put into greased muffin tins and bake at 350F for 20 minutes. They will be darker than white flour muffins, so don't think they are burnt.

No comments: