Thursday, October 8, 2009

What I did on my summer vacation Part 4

Part 4: Lived on the farm
I love that my kids have the chance to live on Grandma and Grandpa's "farm" because they have to do chores! Collecting eggs, exercising the goats, cleaning stalls, raking leaves, picking apricots, riding bikes to the post office to get the mail, its all good. Of course there was plenty of time for climbing trees, making twig fairy houses, roasting marshmallows in the fire pit, stargazing, water fights, catching grasshoppers, even lighting fireworks in the street. My kids had their first experience with sparklers, much to the surprise of my sister. These things just aren't allowed in suburban CA.
Another fun thing mom and I did this year was canning and drying fruit. Apricots and cherries were in season, and almost every night we'd be found in the kitchen making a batch of jam or starting a batch of fruit leather in the dehydrator. Nothing in the world tastes better.

No comments: