- 17 cups peeled, cored, seeded, diced tomatoes -about 12-15 lbs. (I lost most of you right there, didn't I?)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced -wear rubber gloves!
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 10 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1/3 cup minced cilantro
- 1 1/2 Tbs salt
- 8 pint (16 oz) glass preserving jars with bands and lids
Saturday, August 30, 2008
And the winner is...
Jeannette who said: What would happen if Shrek and a Vampiress had a baby. That was a tomato.
My dad got to choose the winner because he enjoys drawing on vegetables. Or is it a fruit?
Lucky Jeannette will receive a hopefully intact pint of my homemade salsa. And for everyone else here is my recipe. Or if you're not up for a bunch of work, may I suggest Pace.
1. Prepare boiling water or steam canner. Prepare lids in simmering water. Set bands aside.
2. Combine all the yummy ingredients in a large saucepan.
3. Heat to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
4. Ladle hot salsa into hot jars leaving 1/2 in headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight. You will have enough extra for some instant gratification chip dipping-store in refrigerator for up to a few days.
5. Process filled jars in canner for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours.
6. Have a silly contest and mail one across the country!